Airpop (also known as Expanded Polystyrene) is widely used to package fresh fish and produce, as it is able to help keep food fresh through the distribution chain. It is also used within the pharmaceutical industry to package items that are temperature sensitive and need to be transported throughout the world.
- Temperature protection and regulation with or without cold chain.
Airpop has many useful properties. It has low thermal conductivity, and therefore can be used as an insulator against heat and cold. With its high energy absorbing properties, Airpop is excellent at absorbing shocks, and protecting delicate items. Airpop has no loss of strength in damp conditions, so it is ideal for cool-chain products. Being moisture resistant, Airpop easily meets the most stringent of hygiene requirements.
- Greatly assists in maintaining the temperature of contents reducing the potential for contamination and/or spoiling.
Made up of 98% air, Airpop is extremely lightweight, and as a result, the cost of transport of this material is significantly reduced. This in turn reduces emissions due to reduced fuel consumption, creating less impact on global warming. Further, the material is odourless and non-toxic. It does not, nor has ever, emitted chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), and it is recyclable. The uses for Airpop are almost limitless. It can be moulded into many shapes or forms to meet the customer’s and their product’s protection and insulation needs.
- Airpop Packaging can eliminate the need for Cold Chain transportation in many cases with the introduction of Ice Packs etc.
- 100% recyclable, product reuse for construction, void fill and picture frames to name just a few.
Airpop is a closed cell, thermoplastic, lightweight, rigid cellular material. It comes as small beads of resin. The beads are impregnated with pentane, a naturally occurring gas. The beads are then heated in a pre-expander. The combination of this heat and the rapid release of the gas, expands the bead to almost 50 times its original size.
- Prevents surface damage on Fruit/Vegetables/Seafood which may render the product unsalable to the general public creating excessive food waste.
- Preservation of export Produce, Seafood and other temperature sensitive products.
The expanded Airpop beads are then injected into a steam chest mould. Steam applies heat and pressure, which fuses the beads together into the required shape or form.
Polyfoam can supply advice and support on all aspects of Airpop materials for your requirement. For further information on this product, or to find out which material will best suits your application, please contact Polyfoam.